So you can pause it if you want


Sunday, November 30, 2008

The L-O-N-G Weekend


We are all tuckered out.
Yes that's the vacuum tube on his stomach.


The vacuum is on. He slept through it.

His father did it.

I wasn't home.

I think we survived the weekend unscathed. We did stay up until 2 AM, not one, but two nights (I wasn't even blogging!). The kids too.
Not.
We are getting older, but not much wiser, so it seems. And apparently with age comes redundancy, so it seems. We did not get to go to Hawaii like this person does every. other. year. Try not to hate her, she's really nice and my bff since 8th grade. Before texting and bff's, so it seems.


Anyway, we did turkey at my in-laws'. Since we had a smaller group than the usual 50 we have with my family and the common-sensical paper plates, I tried to play Eddie Ross. (I took baby steps, Martha.) (Eddie works for Martha.) (And she comments on his blog.) (Whoa.) (Well, I'm pretty sure it was her, but I couldn't actually check, so don'tquoteme.)


My centerpiece before Little Miss Sassy Pants came.
I think I love burlap. Because I'm so classy.
I wanted Mason jars at my wedding. Maybe Lex will let me use them at hers.


After she brought her acorns. Not a huge difference, but I'm learning here.


Our father-in-law's signature table setting. (With Sassy Pants' charger.)
Look hard, what's wrong with the picture?
It's all about convenience. Don't mess with us.


I made fancy drink.

It was cranberries garnished with beverage. It was supposed to be the other way around until I dumped Maine's entire harvest from this year into the bowl. I did it before I added the liquid so I wouldn't get splashed, but it's hard to guess proportions.

That's Mr Sassy Pants Jr. who got stuck with Barbie because Mr Destructo got the one Star Wars plate.


Lexie found a game. Her dad's excited to play it. They never figured out the rules. This Game is Bonkers has been kid-tested, mother disapproved, and scatters all over the floor really well.


This is Mexican Train Dominos. Prepare to burn your eyes out of their sockets. It's fun. I actually beat Mr Sassy Pants Sr. He always wins. Well, actually, his wife won, but I came in 2nd and smoked him. Sort of.
I have realized one of my life's great ambitions. I can die now. But I'm too lazy. And don't want to. I have to see what the Nester's up to.


Mr Destructo got into the wood-burning stove downstairs.

That was luckily not burning any wood.


The cousins played.
Yes Mr Destructo is in a girl's baby stroller.
With his younger i.e. smaller cousin pushing him.


Tiny Miss Sassy Pants chillin' with her peeps. I love it when they spit out their binks.


We took some photos of the brothers and their babies. Except that's the single (available) brother-in-law holding my baby. He only has a cat named Baby. That opted to stay at home. Thank goodness.


I tried for a new profile picture, but had jaundice. And I am always holding that baby.

And apparently have big wrinkles under my eye. Note to self, get new make-up. And go to bed before 2 AM.
And
New life ambition: get profile pic without S-man.


Took more brother picture's.

Single Brother adores Mr Sassy Pants Sr. He kept doing that!
I think Single Brother just wants to hold the baby and is telling Mr Sassy Pants Sr with his eyes.


More pictures of oldish bald men.
And two thrilledish babies.

Mr Destructo and Mr Sassy Pants Jr were awfully quiet while everyone was upstairs taking pictures?
Mr Destructo recruited.

And they got into the fireplace again.
(Mr Sassy Pants Jr was a little hungry I guess.)


The clean up: Mr Destructo has to be outnumbered--look at him holding up his hands like a criminal.

That was our cue.
We left soon after.
We had a lot of fun.

Sorry, my family, that we never showed up.
You ate pie without us anyway.
Sacrilege.
Next year I so want to play walking basketball. I really do.
Christy and Brandon, you know you want to come to our side again so we can hang out more.

The day after Thanksgiving my cousin got married. I forgot the salad dressing for my wedding-dinner-offering and we were pushing it to be on time before we had to go back for Kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette Light and totally missed the ceremony. So did one of my other cousins and his little family. And the cousin getting married? His brother totally fell asleep on the couch in the foyer and missed the whole thing too.

The cousin about to cut the cake is a Marine, if you didn't guess.I was not one of the photographers.
That's a fourth cousin holding his big fancy new Nikon D60 SLR that stands for Something Looking Really fancy that takes awesome pictures. I guess it's a Nikon D60 SLRFTTAP.
I have so many cousins. The mystery to disposable goods at Thanksgiving is solved.


My cousins' (another one) cute little daughter who always snags the flowers. Smart girl.


Amongst all the weekend's excitement, I harbored dreams of getting the hovel decorated for Christmas.
We got the tree up. It's making it's debut this year. It's bigger than the old one.
I thought it would be bringing more lights. Whatever.
We started decorating it.
With 7 ornaments, 7 strings of beads (we're all about beads, I also harbor hippie dreams), and it was attributed with 7 muttered-under-the-breath swear words. It's a heavy tree.
Nothing is sacred. Hello? S-man?! No touchie. See that blurb on the floor? It's the clicker that turns the lights on and off.
He already figured it out.
This picture looks familiar...
I have pictures of Mr D doing almost the same thing, but they wouldn't upload.

I made so much progress with the rest of the sty.
Hmm.
Wow.
The desk just vomited all that stuff. I've never seen it before. Two monitors? What two monitors?!
Packrat? What packrat?!
(Melissa--that's one of your baby's garlands on the back of that chair--what do you think so far?)
Breathtaking.

And just the look I was going for.
Georgeous.
The bathroom rug drying on a chair just completes it.
And we had a kidnapping.
Apparently the sheep got in the way.
I promise I don't have a fluorescent light bulb in the lamp right above it.
We've put out several Amber alerts and interrupted lots of bube-tube viewing, but to no avail. Good thing I'm a packrat and have like 13 other nativities.
Oh well, at least I already mailed out our family newsletter.
Don't hate me, I emailed it.
Try it, you might love it like I do.
Oh, and make that 3 nights until 2 AM. With early church. I am so smart.

16 comments:

Gigi said...

Aubrey, I get nervous when you write these long posts. I'm always wondering WHERE IS MR. DESTRUCTO?? That boy needs a full time security detail :) Hopefully he's a sound sleeper.

You look adorable, and you do NOT have bags under your eyes. Wait a few years (decades?) and you'll see what bags really look like. Now go enjoy being young and cute.

Gigi said...

P.S. I love that the Nester gives you the will to live.

P.P.S. Did the soy sauce come out of your carpet??

Mimi Sue said...

Looks like you had a fab Thanksgiving. Lots of family and food. You need to hide that picture of boy plus barbie plate. When he's 9 he'll hate you and it might send him down the wrong path if you know what I mean. Mimi

Trever and Heather said...

Whoa- your Thanksgiving weekend was much more eventful than mine. I brought the jello and the drinks (either they were trying to be nice to a invalid or my family knows I don't cook). Also- our tree is no where near up despite my wanting it to be so yours looks awesome to me.

P.S. I'm so flattered that you liked my wedding- maybe it was good that no one else in my fam would aid me in planning it.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Looks like a fun Thanksgiving! We play Dominos, too, but our game is Chicken Foot.

I thought the picture of you was cute, Aubrey. Also liked the Mason jars for a centerpiece. Pretty! :-)

Jennifer P. said...

Yes--I thought I saw your comments popping up awfully late/ early. I made it till 5 am TWICE this week!!! I'm still pretty good on 2 hours of sleep--though a little more stupid.

Where do I start with this post? I laughed so many times I lost count. Your christmas decorations belong in a magazine for sure ;)! Actually--your home looks very nice and cozy. Nothing to scoff at!

Glad Thanksgiving kept you on your toes!

Melissa said...

I love the garland from what I can see.
I have that same nativity...did you get it from the Preeces for your wedding? Me too.
Loved the pictures of the boys all black! Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! I love your decorations and that I can see your Christmas tree lit up at night! Oh, and the longer your blogs the better!

Doug and Rachel said...

Aubrey, you should be a writer- you could write hilarious children's stories about kids - you have a cute way of saying things. Funny too. It was very cold at the Christmas market, but we found long soncks for all of the kids - yay!

Mimi Sue said...

I got the fabric at Hob Lob. I had an apron that I bought at Ross last year and my girls loved it so I traced around it on some tissue paper and made a pattern. It was very easy and it only took like a yard of fabric and two packages of seam binding. I don't like to sew very much either. Just simple things and valances are the only things I like to sew. If it takes too much time then forget it. Sorry to hear about your jaundice...Hope you feel better soon. hahaha Mimi

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I am just so glad that it was your offspring cleaning out the wood burning stove and not my kids leading the mess making. The tree looks wonderful, all kids learn early how to turn it on and off, that is the first thing that SB does in the morning is turn on the lights and then come and wake me up so I can see them.♥

Lacey in the Sky said...

I love those pics of the kiddos covered in soot!

Laurel said...

I love the pic of J staring at T with starry eyes...

I love the table! I think you did a great job.

Barbara said...

What fun y ou must have wioth such a large family.

What is wrong? Is it the cutlery?

Sherri said...

Ok so we still haven't put up any Christmas decorations other than the lights outside. I might get to it this week!

Mimi Sue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.