So you can pause it if you want


Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's Be Honest


I got this from the awesome Mimi Sue.
I'm supposed to list ten things about myself and pass it others.
Now it will be painfully obvious how boring I really am and how I try to be funny to hide it. Um, and as always, expect wordiness.
1. I'm the oldest of five kids--I have one sister I fought with relentlessly (but we get along now) and three brothers I bossed around relentlessly (and still do). Now I rather unsuccessfully boss my kids.
2. I was a military brat and at least one of us was born everywhere we lived, except here, in Utah. We moved every few years, so now we've been in our house almost four years, I'm ready to go. And after 15 years in Utah, I'd like a change of scenery for awhile.
3. I like baking more than cooking, but some hippie-nerd out there says we have to eat real food from the bottom of the food pyramid for our meals, not brownies or cookies or pies. Loser. She can kiss my pie-eating bottom. Oh, and I love making candy at Christmas. Oh, the buttery goodness.
4. I'm not a huge fan of cake. It is boring. It tastes like flavored styrofoam to me. Frosting does not help it much--it's usually still always dry. Don't get me started on store-bought cakes. Give me a nice cheesy cheesecake or some good pie with nice, thick, flaky crust. But not cream pie--yeck. (Especially not banana cream Aaron--double yeck. Do I look Panamanian to you? ha ha--my poor bossed around little brother--who needs a girlfriend.)
Oh yeah--I do like angel food or pound cake if they're nice and moist.
5. I like planting flowers and vegetables but hate maintaining the garden and don't even think about making me pull weeds more than once a summer. Oh, and don't ask about the rose bush genocide in our yard last year or how many pounds of tomatoes went to waste. Oh yeah--I hate harvesting. What am I supposed to do with all that food we can't eat or give away fast enough? (Here's where my grandma makes my excellent farmer grandpa read this post so they can cringe together.)
6. My siblings and I all have names beginning with "A". I was named after the Bread song. Or at least I will say I was until my parental figures correct me--but I think I'm right. And not so very ordinary.
7. I had my first baby at 21, the same age my mom was when she had me. We also will have had another baby in the same succession at the same age.
8. I graduated college with a ten-day-old baby and a 2-year-old. Yes, you can tell if you're hauling extra post-partum weight under the graduation gown. I have a Bachelor's in English, but I did it more for the reading than the writing (and loved it! What reading-lover wouldn't love reading a book and telling their husband they're doing homework and not be lying?). The emphasis is in Arts for taking enough Spanish classes, but don't ask me to say much in Spanish, cuz you'll just get a blank look. I minored in Interior Design, but wish I could hire a designer to come inspire me.
9. I love cinnamon rolls. The big, good ones with cream-cheese frosting my mom makes. Or did. I want some now. Like, right now. Which makes me think that I would like to go on a cruise, where they feed you good stuff all day. Or just go on a vacation where we can eat out a lot. Did I mention how I'm not a big fan of cooking?
10. I'm accident-prone. I'm always falling an hurting myself and running into things. In 9th grade, we were learning how to kick a soccer ball using our peripheral vision. That resulted in me stepping on the ball, trying to still kick, rolling my foot around the ball and falling on it. Yes, it broke. At first, we thought it was just sprained, but it kept hurting and I couldn't convince my mom to take me back to see if it had indeed broken until I showed her the cool black bruises all along the side of my foot. It was a stress fracture. So, when your kids still aren't better after three days, it might be more than a sprain. I had a purple cast. I should have picked blue. Please tell me why I was trying to show school spirit with my cast. That's the most spirited I ever was.
And apparently I am accident-prone in other ways, too.
11. And a bonus, because you were dying to know: I play the piano. Pretty well, I guess. I took lessons for 10 years. It has to count for something.
I'm passing this on to...
Sherri the Kaysville Momma--we don't know where she lives.
Amy, who has a Life--we want every gory detail of your honeymoon while the memories are fresh.
Heather who loves Ava Bunches
Katey who digs Wells at her Palace.
Jennifer P, who is Public. Oh yeah she's a real designer. And is awesome and has done very cool things.
And because I like to throw caution to the wind, my sister Ashley. May she say nice things about me.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

In WHAT other ways are you accident-prone? Wink, wink!

Trever and Heather said...

Wait a sec! I was just about to leave a comment about how I'd pick a black cast (if they have them) and that I'm still impressed by you graduating with 2 babies- but then I read Melissa's comment and me thinks that I missed a really good bedroom story.

Wait a sec. I think I just got that one too.

I'm having a blonde day. Hee.

Mimi Sue said...

Thank you so much for playing, Aubrey. You do to have an interesting life. Mine seems pathetic in comparison. We all have accidents at one time or another. My mother said that when the accidents involve pregnancies they are called surprises. Now you know. Mimi

Andrew A said...

Boss me around? :) Yep. You still do.

Mrs. Egg said...

You should go look at the Ivory Homes Model homes. They are so cutely decorated I am still having a hard time convincing Randy we need a NEW house. Especially the one up by Cherry Hills. Its worth $800k.

Trever and Heather said...

Ha ha ha! April Fools!

I remember the baby joke from last year...

Barbara said...

Enjoyed reading all this Aubrey, feel I know you a little better.

Good to catch up on the children too and birthdays.

What did we do when we had an allottment and grew food. After giving half of it away I might spend hours freezing stuff and cooking and freezing. In the end decided to give up the allottment.
Enjoyed it while it lasted but it became toomuch for just the 2 of us.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

What is the "Bread song"? I have never heard of it, or at least I don't think I have. I am sorry to laugh at your accidents, but I am also in that category and could envision myself doing the same thing:-)

Trever and Heather said...

You need to move your baby counter up higher on the page or it doesn't count as an announcement.

Jared said...

I love your blog! I found you from my twin sister Wendy. Thanks for always making me laugh.