So you can pause it if you want


Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bedheaded Randomness

Monday I took advantage of a husband home and a temporarily sick baby to tackle a project. I think this is the first thing I've ever done within a few days of thinking I wanted to do it and then buying the materials and finishing the whole thing in one day.
I might actually be shedding the procrastinating shell.
Yeah, I'm dreaming on.
I even bought the board and had the nice man cut it at Home Depot for me all by myself. The fabric store was not so easy--apparently I've mixed up my holidays and Monday was the Day For Sewing Ugly Things Day. (And the let's be redundant day)
I seriously do not know what those ladies were thinking up in their heads. My favorite was the little old lady with a shopping cart full of cut pieces of fleece. I admit it has been cold.
Then there was the lady who looked like she'd just travelled a time machine and came straight from the 90's with no detours to Macy's who was buying green shiny sequiny trims (3 kinds!) and told the cutter she was making a St Patrick's Day sweater.
?!
Anyway, I digress and get a little rude.
Seriously, I'm worried about that sweater.
Moving on.
Any guesses to what this is going to be?
It was at this point that I began to wonder what I was thinking trying to do this by myself and if I'd finish before the kids and husband got back from sledding.
Anyway, here's a before of the intended project's place.
Which obviously is a headboard.
Yes, we've been living with ghetto bed for a while.
I haven't talked the Money Maker into this or this from Pottery Barn yet.
Here's what I ended up with:
I made the bed especially for you.
I really did this on Monday and not last summer.
Here is where I highly recommend having a lot of boxwood shrubs outside and then letting them get overgrown so you can enjoy them from inside all year.
Even though you might not enjoy still having nasty metal windows with holey screens.
Stupid economy and 1960's windows that are 17.2 feet wide and cost $500 but were less $$$ three years ago when the rest of the windows were replaced. And of course we have two. Apparently they still didn't have much electricity in the early 60's, hence explaining the large windows on every wall and the average of 1.75 outlets in every room. No, we never worry about fire at Christmas time.

Yeah we don't ever leave our bedroom in last place to get beautified. There aren't Huggies boxes full of pictures from the living room piled on our dresser. Nor is there a broken rocking chair at the end of the bed.
All kinds of classy going on over here.

Clearly I though I lot of pictures of the same thing at different angles would be vastly fascinating for you all.

Consider that wish fulfilled.

Now can somebody please explain the need to watch TV (or not) like this?

This is the safe version--usually that rocking chair is on the table. The new stadium seating.

Now I would like you all to think that the windows are entirely covered in snow to elicit pity from those not living with us in Klondikeville, but I think we actually had sun shining. Reflecting off the multitudes of snow.

Wii are so glad this lives at Grandma's.

Notice his hands are a blur.

Speaking of Grandma, for Valentine's Day she gave the grandchildren stickers,

and markers.

Yes, that's my couch. This time it was Mr Tornado, who was home alone with Dad.

Oh, and could someone please explain the meaning of this?

That would be the Dora potty-training seat for those who might not recognize it.

Apparently we're all kinds of desperate for summer.

And should not be left alone for any amount of time during a bath.

16 comments:

April Sky said...

Hey Aubrey looks like we're in the same boat. Kids are awesome aren't they. Love the potty picture. I definitely know all about the potty. Yes, the potty. My baby girl is in kindygarten now. I'm old! So amazing how motherhood just removes all that selfishness right out of ya huh! Babies they are so beautiful and yet so difficult -- in a sweet way :). Nice to see you're family fellow superhero mom of 3.

April Sky said...

Oh hey you probably don't know who April Sky is...sorry. I'm April Balaich Strickland, Remember me we were painting buddies.

Unknown said...

Aubrey, you're hilarious. I miss laughing my head off at all the witty things you say. And I love the pictures. Your blog is fun to read!
Tiffany Hood

Melissa said...

K- I just laughed so hard I peed a little. You never let me down.
Love the head board!

Ashley said...

Cute headboard Aub! You could start marketing; the potty seat as a dual purpose beach floaty. Can't believe your couch! Did you get it all out or what? My kids resorting to just coloring their hands all over.

Barbara said...

You did well and congrats. on getting it done quickly.

The crayoning on the couch - well that is another matter. Send the tornado to Grandma to play the drums next time!

Laurel said...

Well, the headboard is awesome. The modern art on the couch--umm...not so much. Don't you feel like it's two steps forward and three steps back?

Mimi Sue said...

He's gonna love that picture when he's 17. Great for blackmail. I know from experience! That headboard is awesome. See, little steps and before you know it your house is gonna look like Tiffany's. Don't hate me but I'm in San Diego with 70 degree weather and playing with the grand daughters. Mimi

Erin said...

I laughed out loud reading your blog. Thanks! And congrats on starting & finishing a project in one day! I have no kids and rarely finish stuff in one day. Sad.

Sherri said...

WOW!!! You have stadium seating at your house??? Some people pay goo money for crap like that!!

I love the headboard!!!

I hope you don't mind that I posted some the the photos I took of your cute family on my photography blog!!

Trever and Heather said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it's a great one!

Jennifer P. said...

I KNOW I can always come here and laugh! I love your crazy life and the fact that you hate your house. It's refreshing :). I know my windows need replacing too, but I've grown so attached to the mould that grows in the sills. Will be a pity to see it go some day.

I hope Don Aslett has the solution to your marker problem.

And you did a great job on the headboard!

Also glad that your music starts up on it's own. I like it!

Love,
Fellow desperate for summer woman.

Nicole said...

That picture of the baby playing the drums is the best! And Mr. Destructo with the toilet set, he really is struggling with potty training isn't he! Love the headboard, you did an awesome job, makes me want to get rid on mind. Sorry for rambling on at Mc Donalds, I think I need to learn to shut my trap once in a while!

Mary Beth said...

Thanks so much for making me laugh!

Crafty Niche said...

The potty picture made me smile. We have the same one too. Potty training is so much fun..isn't it? ;)

Christie said...

I have a ghetto bed, too, and had not figured out exactly what to call it. LOVE the term. Now I need to get cracking on my own headboard.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet words. You, my dear, are welcome to come back anytime!