Because I should be doing 72 other things, I'll post the fudge recipe. I should not be doing this--I consider it my own special treat to give out, so Sassy Pants, and people in my neighborhood--no stealing! Unless you're giving it to people I don't know and whose taste buds need refining.
I got the recipe from a lady who makes a ton of good-tastin' candy every Christmas and she gave us a handout with a bunch of tips for making good candy--I'll give you the critical ones so I don't hear any boo-hooing about people's fudges not fudging.
The tips, in no rational order, almost all copied ver bedim (if you already know how to make good candy, skip on ahead, but go carefully--don't hurt your knees, or take anyone out with your elbows--it sort of hurts):
1. A heavy pan (that's thick on the bottom) is best for candy-making.
2. Use a wooden spoon while stirring candy so it doesn't go sugary.
3. Butter is better than margarine.
4. Make sure you stir candy constantly! Candy burns really easy! When boiling candy, DO NOT boil at a high temperature, boil at a medium temperature to help keep it from burning. STIR CONSTANTLY! (If you missed that--stir constantly)
5. Make sure pans are greased and ready to pour candy into when it's done.
6. If you have long hair, pull it back. duh.
Now that you're thoroughly bored, on to the show. Her recipe (with my unsolicited running commentary in yellow-orange, not to be confused with yellow or orange):
Place in a large bowl:
1 pint (7-oz jar) marshmallow creme (just one--believe me, I've done it with two--still good, but harder to cut)
1 12-oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips--DON'T use milk chocolate (trust me on this one)
2 teaspoons vanilla
nuts if desired (or if you prefer, nutty in-laws)
Place in large pan:
5 c white sugar
2 cubes butter (NOT margarine) (how could you forget it's better with butter?)
dash of salt (it's incredible)
1 large (12-oz) can evaporated milk
Bring second mixture to a slow boil. (Over medium heat remember) (I'm not becoming at all annoying.) After it starts boiling, cook for 9 minutes. Pour over the mixture in the large bowl and stir quickly. Pour into 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam (or Western Family, including the dog) (or Wal-Mart).
--In the bowl mixture--use white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet--I've found Nestle has the best texture if you're not rich enough to go to some fancy pants candy store in Salt Lake that I'm sure does not welcome three stinky, loud, fast-moving in polar directions (if there were three poles) children who have spilled out a nasty, dirty minivan bringing a cascade of pretzels, old Happy Meal hamburgers (yes we've found those in crevices) and rock-hard PB sandwiches.
--Add 1 dram orange or tangerine candy flavoring bought at Ben Franklin's (locals) with a 40% coupon (because remember how we don't buy ingredients at fancy store if it involved driving there with a full minivan). You can add just a teaspoon if you have no taste, but when I tried to measure mine, it was pouring down the side anyway so it all went in. You can half the vanilla or still use 2 tsp, I don't think it will kill anything.
--I added the zest from two Clementines, because I had them, but I suppose if you don't have any, YOUR fudge will still taste OKAY, and I mean OKAY. (Actually it probably really will be okay). You can add zest to the top, but I think I would have preferred to go without, or to let it dry out a little first so I could scatter it better. Sue me for having no cooker lingo.
--Add food coloring--1 drop red, 5 drops yellow. Yeah, the gel stuff works too. And in case you're wondering, and are strictly on a need to know later--the gel works when coloring bath salts, too--you just have to shake it longer. A lot longer. But since we don't want to eat bath salts with our fudge, who cares about that?
Now go make it. It doesn't take that long. If anyone has tried it and used, say, orange extract instead of candy flavoring and had it work, let me know (like leave a comment so we can all learn). I might have bottle of orange extract to burn up. Well not literally. duh.
Oh yeah, if not quite ALL the marshmallow dissolves, don't stress--those are the good parts, the marbleing and the marshmallow chunks. (As opposed to blowing chunks--where I efficiently killed your cravings for white orange fudge at 11 at night.) (Thank me later--I do like me the comments.) The same goes for if all the chocolate chips that don't dissolve--but I think it helps to have them on top of the marshmallow creme in the bowl.
That done, and my only unsecret secret recipe out, I want people's opinions on a good flat iron, or what you think is a reasonable flat iron price. Mine halfway bit the dust on our trip to Boise four months ago (which was traumatic as I was meeting that stranger, Jennifer P., and apparently my self-confidence is dependant on the state of my bouffant) (sadly) and became fully incapacitated when I was very angry one day and hit against a hard surface several times. I do believe that was a bad hair day. Yes, Mom, I think I'll have those until I'm dead--even when I'm an old lady getting my hair done once a week at the beautician's. Becuase you wanted to hear about hair and fudge at the same time (killed the craving again, eh?)
So in case you've forgotten already, I want flat iron opinions! And fudge experiment results! Bring it on.

21 comments:
this sounds great. i'm going to try it and tell everyone you, my funny cousin who lives in the states with the sweetest baby ever whose blog i love, revealed her secret recipe.
as far as the flat iron, i am emailing you now.
So bring us some fudge!!!! I finally got our Christmas treats done! I might be able to deliver them today -- if the weather and the RSV Boy cooperate.
I can definitely confirm that that stuff is DIVINE!!! We will definitely be making our own batch before Christmas. Oh man- I'm gonna go eat another piece RIGHT NOW!!
I want to know why the neighbor gifts always stress me out the most? Shouldn't I be stressed out about something more important? Anyway, that fudge might be just the ticket. It looks fabulous. Thank you for the recipe. I didn't even know what a flat iron was until last month when I went to get my hair cut. One of the gals there said it was essential to my chunky haircut. OK. She said you could get a really great one at the beauty supply place for $175.00. Umm OK. The daughter showed up with one and I tried it and I liked it and she said let's go to Walmart and get you one and I said OK. $13.00. Works great and I figure I can buy 12 of them for the grand total of $156.00 plus tax. So if I'm having a bad hair day I can totally hit whatever I want and still be way ahead. See you Tuesday. Mimi
That fudge looks positively delicious!! I wish I had as much ambition.
Thanks for your kind words about my flagstone walkway. I am sorry to say my husband has zero interest in blogging and is not a tutorial kind of guy. I do know that you have to have a good base, level, and he seems to place the rocks instinctively (I'm not allowed near the job!). He then covers all of the rocks with crusher dust for a few days (and really likes it to see some rain before sweeping off the "dust"). I wish I could be more helpful...but that's the best I can do :)
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
Linda
I never use margarine anymore. Not since someone told me it was one chemical compound away from being plastic. YUCK!!
I got a kit from Carnation to try making fudge this year. For the first time. I think it is pretty close to the recipe you have :)
Aubrey,
Three things:
1. I'm looking for a new flat iron too. I read on someone's blog that they bought a Chi flat iron and loved it, but they start at $70.00, and I'm just not a high maintenance chick. So I'm thinking I might go with Mimi Sue's recommendation above for the $13.00 WalMart one, or if I'm feeling really crazy, buy one at Target.
2. Thanks for the fudge recipe! I laughed so hard at your commentary I nearly choked on my soup. At least your remark about blowing chunks cut my dinner short :)
3. Hope your husband's ear is okay!!
I love the orange fudge it is sooOOOoo good!
I hope you get this message!! Let me know if you do. We have a change in time for tomorrow and I hope it doesn't interfere with anything in your life but here it is...because we're going to 7 houses we were thinking we need to start a little earlier so we thought 6:00 at my house would get us home before 10:00. We have old ladies on the tour and I guess they turn into pumpkins when it gets too late. Sorry if this is a pain. See you tomorrow. Mimi
Blowing chuncks? Where do you come up with these things! I would like to live in your head for just one day...freakin crap!
The fudge sounds way too complicated for my sad candy making skills, but I would love to sample some...please don't eat it all. Why did Heather already get some and I didn't, I guess you don't love me...
This fudge sounds amazing. I LOVE fudge.
As one of the benefactors of the fudge, I too can attest that it's very tasty!
This fudge looks and sounds delicious Aubrey. Bet it won't last long.
The gingerbread houses look magnificant.
The orange fudge sounds YUMMY!!
white orange fudge. I don't like white chocolate anything...but I would seriously try that! Yum!
Flat irons? hmmm....my hair is so crazy flat already that I need something that curls it (maybe, like a curling iron---do they make those :)?!). All I know is that you're suppose to look for ceramic ones that conduct the heat better.
Happy fudging
That would be great but only if you have time. You have 3 well 4 distractions. AND a very busy time of year. It was so fun meeting you. Mimi
Hi Aub-
Just wanted to send you to a list of author quotes that I loved- it's the website of an author whose book I just did the cover and interior for.
http://heatherhorrocks.com/writing_tips.html
Now get writing!
I used the orange extract and it seems to be orangey enough. I have never had this before, but I can only assume that the candy flavoring would be a bit stronger?? Anyway, mine doesn't look nearly as yummy as yours, but it is delicious! Thanks for mixing things up, instead of the traditional, minty stuff this time of year:-)
I have never seen this kind of fudge...it looks great! I'm bookmarking it! The gingerbread house turned out so nice. Mine usually look like the are tilting! We made some reindeer cookies that turned out good! Have a wonderful Christmas!
Follow me home for a homemade dough giveaway!
I really don't know a thing about flat irons, but I can say that you are funny! Funny, I say!! And the fudge looks delicious!
Have a great Christmas with those lovely children of yours Aubrey.
Post a Comment